Monday, September 19, 2011

Wow, you're far from home!

EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. that I meet someone new, I wish I was wearing a nametag that addressed the 4 most common questions.
What's your name?
What's your class?
What's your major?
Where are you from?
When I get to that last question and tell this new person/group of people where I'm from, their eyebrows raise and they stare at me and wonder, "WHY?" So then I have to explain in depth why I chose to attend TTU. "Because I wanted to." isn't what they want to hear.
I FOUND TTU because Brianna recommended it, but I wasn't originally planning on living in a town as small as Cookeville. If only apartments in Nashville didn't cost so much. :( There was nothing about Tech that impressed or inspired me, but I applied anyway. It's just another school, really. I had literally no reason to go here except it was close to a city I fell in love with, and I already knew one person who'd be in my class.
I suppose I knew more people who attended MSUM, but I also knew more people there who I'd rather avoid. It's great living in a town where no one knows where I went to high school. Half these people probably couldn't even point out Minnesota on a map. It's freeing. I know no one here will say, "OH, do you know (insert name of high school bully)? He's my roommate/boyfriend/best friend/drinking buddy."
I am free to make friends by being myself. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. But who I was in high school doesn't matter here. And unlike UC/Williamsburg, my religion (or lack of) and brand of clothes/purse/car doesn't define me either. But it's still a small town.
Sometimes I get bored.
Sometimes I get lonely.
But I don't have to walk down the street afraid of people throwing things out their window at me.
THAT is why I moved to Cookeville. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment