Tuesday, September 27, 2011

I do believe a song can heal me. - KV

I firmly believe that music can save lives.
The way I see it, if someone has survived their trials well enough to turn their raw emotions into art, they are at least partially healed. And if they can rise above loss/brokenheartedness/loneliness, so can I. Music makes me feel stronger. It tells me, no matter what I'm going through, I'm not the first one to live through it.
In the past few months, I've noticed more and more mainstream music is focusing on a positive message. For example, here are a few uplifting songs I've heard by popular bands/singers:

-"Born This Way" by Lady Gaga
[Whether life's disabilities left you outcast, bullied, or teased/Rejoice and love yourself today/Cause baby, you were born this way]

-"Firework" by Katy Perry
[Do you know that there's still a chance for you/Cause there's a spark in you/ You've just gotta ignite/The light/And let it shine]

-"Perfect" by Pink
[Pretty pretty please/If you ever ever feel/Like you're nothing/You're f--king perfect to me]

-"Who Says" by Selena Gomez
[You've got every right to a beautiful life...Who says/Who says you're not perfect/Who says you're not worth it/Who says you're the only one that's hurting/Trust me/That's the price of beauty/Who says you're not pretty/Who says you're not beautiful?]

-"Swim" by Jack's Mannequin
[You gotta swim/Swim for your life/Swim for the music that saves you when you're not so sure you'll survive/You've gotta swim/Swim when it hurts/The whole world is watching, you haven't come this far to fall of the earth]

-"Believe" by the Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
[And I still believe/There is more love than hate/There's more hope than pain/And we're all stuck in this great big world together]

-"Good Life" by One Republic
[Sometimes there's airplanes you can't jump out/Sometimes there's bullsh-t that don't work now/We all got our stories but please tell me/What there is to complain about]

-"Gravity Happens" by Kate Voegele
[In the wreckage of heartache and hindsight/A new beginning starts to unfold/And if you let it/It just might save your life]

-"Second Family" by Patent Pending
[The time has come to believe in yourself. Believe in your friends. Find something that you love, and spread it like wildfire. There is such a thing as a perfect world, but without each other, it does not exist. There is such a thing as happiness, and this is it.]

"Hold On" by Good Charlotte was the first "keep going" song that I ever heard. I was in 8th grade, and I remember it affecting me right after I saw it on MTV. I was having trouble in school like any other socially awkward 14 year old, but I wasn't yet at a point in my life where I considered suicide. Still, I knew it was a problem, and I hoped at least one person would hear that song and decide to throw out their pills or razor blades.

In the future, I hope other musicians will follow the lead of these bands, and release songs that can change the world in a positive way. In the media, we hear so many stories about bullying, societal pressures, racism, discrimination, and other degrees of hate I've forgotten to mention.

I can't change the world on my own.
I can't tell every lonely/hurting person that other people have experienced their struggles and survived, triumphed even.
My wish is that they turn on the radio and hear those words from someone who can reach them better than I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment