Thursday, February 9, 2012

Distracted by free food.

International Night and English Hour have become the highlights of my week. The free food got me to start going, but the people keep me there. English Hour is so different from last semester...it doesn't even seem like the same place. Ben is basically the only familiar person there. Of course, "last year," I was so busy following around "someone" that I didn't try to talk to any of the actual foreign students. I'm surprised how good most of them are at speaking English. They have a lot of interesting things to say, and they pay attention to what I have to say too. It's easy to not get attached to international students. You know they'll be leaving soon, so there is no shock.
International Night is a bit more awkward. That guy that messed me up in November? (Not Kyle) He's started showing up a lot more, and of course bringing his girlfriend. Being around them isn't as painful as it used to be, but it's still uncomfortable. I fix that by sitting on the other end of the room. Alex laughs and calls me paranoid, but he doesn't realize how long I cried over that guy. I listened to sad music for weeks. Until something sadder happened...
Awkward encounters aside, today is the first day since the end of Finals where I've spent more time happy (or content?) than sad. I still start off every morning listening to distance-songs, but it's more of a routine rather than an emotional outlet. I'm finally getting to the point where I seek people out rather than trying to avoid them. I think the part in my brain that lets me bond to people is still broken, but at least I can laugh.
Laughing is good. Good enough to blog about.

No comments:

Post a Comment