Friday, January 20, 2012

More surprises... (a cat story)

I'm still kinda kicking myself for being a bad cat mom.
Last week, I found a new home for Moo. She destroyed my apartment because she got stressed out while I was at school all day. I gave her to someone who was done with school. She would be able to give Moo more attention. So things worked out well for Moo, but Callie got so depressed...again.
Literally the next day, a lady from LSN (the Craigslist of the south) e-mailed me with a black kitten who needed a home. I went to pick her up, and less than 12 hours later, the kitten magically found a way out of my apartment and disappeared. She was gone before I had a chance to name her.
Callie's clinginess kept getting worse throughout the week. For the last couple days, Callie wouldn't let me walk to a different room without following me. I searched LSN every day, but no cats jumped out to me...and I didn't want to disappoint anyone who would be sending their kitty to an unpredictable future. I had just about given up.
So last night...Alex gave me a ride home from International Night. We pulled into my parking spot and he mentioned seeing two stray cats. I assumed it was the two gray strays I normally feed...the girl kitty was there, but she had new company...a beautiful fuzzy, black and white cat that I've never seen before. It couldn't have been more than a year old...it still has a young face.
I brought out a can of food to feed it, and luckily, it wasn't afraid of me. I caught it, and it slept in my arms last night. It's the friendliest stray I've ever met. This cat is not wild...it was abandoned, and I'm fairly sure it's been fixed. Yes, this cat is a boy! I thought it was a girl at first, because no boy cat can be that pretty.
The kitty has no desire to go back outside. Unlike all the other strays I've brought in, it wasn't clawing at the door and squealing all night. However, I think he has a current home, because he was dirty and matted when I found him. So for now, he's mine! Callie is still getting used to the idea, but it will take time. She cuddled with baby Nehi after a few days.
... I may have had a couple failures as a cat mom, but this furbaby is gonna be so spoiled, just like his little sister. I love him already.

No comments:

Post a Comment